Thursday, July 3, 2008

Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One


Let's talk video games. I had no idea about this game until J downloaded it and said, " I think you'll like this." Let's get this out of the way, I don't like RPGs. I can't stand to play or watch someone else play Final Fantasy VIXXVIXVIIII. I've tried. I wasn't into turn based play. It just seems silly to me to fight something and not mash buttons. I NEED to take out my anger on that controller. I also love leaving things to chance, such as combos. Most would call this a non-strategy, but I call it fun.
Anywho, back to the game. It. Is. Awesome. There I said it. I found an RPG that I like. It's been a while since I played it because I think we downloaded it the weekend it came out and I played like a madwoman to beat it and haven't picked it up since. J left and went somewhere for 4 hours and I was still playing it when he got back. I'm going to have to play it again, which is something I rarely do with a game, so you know it's good. The story is well written and right up my ally. The bad guys are robots, homeless people, and clowns. Everyone knows I HATE clowns. I'm from Chicago, um excuse me, John Wayne Gacy. That goes without saying. The setting is 1920's with a little of present day humor thrown in. It's rated mature which doesn't really mean anything in video games anymore because anything past smiley faces and hugs gets a mature rating. The use of insults and profanities is exquisite. The cut scenes are unique because they are done comic book panel style with the last panel actually fading into game play - a nice touch. Game play is not clunky at all, even for an rpg-hater like me. The specials moves are fucking awesome. I'm not going to tell you what they are, so you'll have to buy the game yourself.

Apparently, I'm late to the game in appreciating the guys that created it. Their website is called penny arcade. I love the style and humor in their comics. It's totally geeky, and to me, uber-sexy. I love geeks, dorks, nerds and dweebies. Always have, always will. It takes a real man to be smart, witty and not popular. That gets me HOT! Hopefully, they don't mind I'm using an image from their daily comic on my blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am already waiting for episode 2. Your review was spot on.